Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Complete History Of The Soviet Union

 Video Arranged To The Melody Of Tetris:



While this is a great chronology of events, I am particularly fascinated by the use of Tetris as a lens to understand the timeline philosophically.

It should be noted that Tetris was originally created by a Russian, Alexey Pajitnov, in 1984 when he was working for the Soviety Union (to be exact, Soviet Academy of Sciences at their Computer Center in Moscow).

Now, notice the lyrics from the song at 3:53:

"I work so hard in arranging the block,
but each night I go home to my wife in tears.
Whats the point of it all when your building a wall
and in front of your eyes it disappears.
Pointless work for mindless pay, this is one game I shall not play."
I can't help but think that Alexey's own creative potential when designing Tetris was unleashed by his place on the timeline. Get's me thinking about how other games are reflective of their time and place in history. 

No comments: