Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Enjoy the Music of The Social Network?

 I have some excellent (legally) FREE Music (47 tracks to be exact) recommendations to share with you on my lunch break.

After watching the "making of" documentary I got excited about The Social Network all over again. One of the original hooks for me was learning the soundtrack was done by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross (FYI, they'll be back together with David Fincher to score The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo). I'd like to introduce you to some of their best work that is avaliable for the best price that exists.

  • First, if you enjoyed the music in the movie at the very least, you should download the Free 5 Track Sampler EP of the Soundtrack.
The free EP is notably missing some of the best tracks on the the official soundtrack, their cover of In The Hall of the Mountain King (originally by Edvard Grieg) is one of them:



  • Second, with some very similiar instrumental sounds, is a little known project by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross (under the band Nine Inch Nails) called Ghosts. I have recommended this before, but I can't recommend it enough. I have been listening to this album more consistently the last 3 years then any other album. You can download Ghosts, the whole 36 track instrumental album, for free.
Here's one of my favorites, 28 from Ghosts IV:




A Drowning is my favorite off the EP. Such raw and honest lyrics. This is Trent Reznor at his best:




It's the glare from the reflection
Making patterns in your eyes
It's the looking back in anger
With every second slipping by

Undertow has come to take me
Guided by the blazing sun
Look at everything around us
Look at everything we've done.

Please anyone
I don't think I can, save myself
I'm drowning here please, anyone

There's a tiny little window
Swarms of locusts fill the sky
Maybe I just disappear, If I can
Keep my head above the tide.

Please, anyone
I don't think I can, save myself
I'm drowning here please, anyone

No comments: