Monday, January 10, 2011

Human Digitalism

 Earlier I explained what attracts me to Apple (their goal to be at the intersection of Technology and Liberal Arts). In conclusion, I made the statement that "Until another company starts taking a holistic approach to designing their technology, you can be sure to see a Mac on my desk and an iPod in my pocket."

In follow-up, Samsung caught my attention with their 2011 CES Keynote presentation.

B.K. Yoon, president of Samsung, cast a vision for his company, that "The next step of digital technology is for the human spirit to be at the center."

He expounded on this with the four guiding principles to "Human Digitalism":

  1. Access: Communicate freely and share experiences through networked products
  2. Align: Experience comfort through natural multi-sensory design and the user experience
  3. Amaze: Create a new dimension of enjoyment through completely immersive viewing experiences
  4. Act: Fulfill our duty as responsible citizens to keep our planet healthy

I'm not fully on board with the 4 principles, nor am I particularly inspired by their vision for the future. And don't expect to see me with a Galaxy or Tab anytime soon. But they are attempting noble task of turning the whip on technology (instead of the user), and for that they have my attention.

4 comments:

Matt said...

I am beginning to think that we need to think more critically about our use of technology and its integration into our lives. I think it may have hidden consequences that we do not see, socially and psychologically. This is an undeveloped thought, so I can't really defend that. Maybe we should not be seeking to digitize ourselves. Everyone knows that humans are analog.

DK said...

That's exactly what I'm getting at in the concluding sentence of this post. We have been blindly following the pursuit of technology with little thought to how it is controlling us (we are bowing to the feet of our own creations). On the contrary we need to be whipping technology into submission to bow before us. We need to be much more thoughtful/critical/restrained in our adoption of technology.

I interpreted "human digitalism" as an attempt at this - making digital technology more human, not somehow digitizing humans. I think Samsung is taking a baby step here, but I'm hoping it's a step in the right direction.

I have been spending an immense amount of time thinking about these ideas in the last year. Actually, I'm writing a novel to help me explore everything. It's quite exhilarating.

Matt said...

I think that no matter how much we try and control the development of technology (how much we try to humanize it), it inevitably affects us in ways we will likely never expect (it will digitize us).

A novel? Coolness. I hope it will be available on Kindle, since I've burned all my paper. Also, is it anything like the Matrix?

Seriously, though, that sounds cool.

DK said...

It also depends on how you define technology. I don't define technology as digital. Technology is not as foreign as digital technology sometime feels.

Technology is anything that extends our natural human capacity. All technology, even something as basic as a hammer, changes out existence, how we think and interact with the world around us.

The novel is more like Brave New World then Matrix. By the way, I hope to self publish digitally (most likely for free).