Sunday, October 24, 2010

Why You Must Listen to Mumford & Sons #5

Reason #5: White Blank Page



One of my favorite songs can only be worthy of one of my most bold interpretations.

Just remember, I'm not trying to peg Mumford and Sons as being "Christians in disguise". I find it extremely refreshing that they are authentically exploring faith issues within the public sphere of music. It creates space for thoughtful reflection and conversation - which is exactly what this is.

Right off the bat lets be clear, White Blank Page is not a break up song. The opening verse is a very stark challenge for us to roll away our stone.

Can you lie next to her
And give her your heart, your heart
As well as your body
And can you lie next to her
And confess your love, your love
As well as your folly
And can you kneel before the king
And say I’m clean, I’m clean

The narrator is from the perspective of the redeeming Love/Truth/Maker that has been developed in the songs up to this point.

But tell me now, where was my fault
In loving you with my whole heart
Oh tell me now, where was my fault
In loving you with my whole heart

Building further, I'm going out on a limb with the bold claim that this narrator is Jesus. By being sent "to the brink", He is reflecting on His Passion. How often does hallow religion, void of an intimated and affectionate relationship, result in the clamoring for attention from a distant God?

A white blank page
and a swelling rage, rage
You did not think
when you sent me
to the brink, to the brink
You desired my attention
but denied my affections, my affections

So tell me now, where was my fault
In loving you with my whole heart
Oh tell me now, where was my fault
In loving you with my whole heart

Now, the final chorus stumped me for literally months, because the perspective of the voice did not seem to fit with the rest of the song. Then it hit me as clear as day last week that the final chorus is he a responsitory proclamation of worship to the Passion of Christ.

Aah, aah...
Lead me to the truth and I
will follow you with my whole life
Lead me to the truth and I
will follow you with my whole life
Aah, aah...

By the way, Mumford and Sons rocked my socks off at the Crystal Ballroom on Friday. So did King Charles (his EP comes out in the US iTunes store this week).



Reason #1: Sigh No More
Reason #2: The Cave
Reason #3: Winter Winds
Reason #4: Roll Away Your Stone
Reason #5: White Blank Page
Reason #6: I Gave You All
Reason #7: Little Lion Man
Reason #8: Timshel

5 comments:

Argentina is a tango 10 said...

I think some one has been listening to KINK 101.9


I have it on my iphone app so when I catch some wireless down here I get some good old fashion kink to bring me home

Scott Ek

DK said...

Haha, are you implying I'm listening to Kink?

Actually I was first introduced to Mumford and Sons 6-8 months ago on 94.7. M&S has been making a regular appearance on my iPod ever since.

Good to hear from you bro! How have you been?

inultus said...

raca i say to the pharisees, and to all a merry christmas. Why does spellcheck tell me that i misspelled christmas and spellcheck? good work i say.

inultus said...

Also, I believe that the song might refer to the fact that the two of them have done wrong and it is a difficult thing to be considered sin, what they have done. A wrangling of wrong and right, mixed with true love.

DK said...

@Inultus, thanks for sharing your thoughts, they were thought provoking!