Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Obama on Why He is a Christian (Vid)

What are your thoughts? If you've been under a rock, here's the video followed by my own thoughts:



Elena brought up some very interesting thoughts on his tone of voice. There is a very clear shift in his voice, louder and more confident, when he arrives on a topic that is more familiar territory for a politician. For better or worse, I would say his answer is raw and spontaneous from the heart.

Out of the gate he wasn't off to a good start; some vague ramblings, commending Jesus as a philosopher and good moral teacher.

But then, he pauses, almost as if he's making a concious decision to continue on into his next thought, which I also think is the most significant portion of his answer. He begins to stumble through humanities depravity, and God's grace demonstrated through Jesus.

He very clearly professes allegience to these truths, more so then many Christian pastors do on Sunday morning.
But then, when he tries to make a conclusion to his answer, things got really messy with some ramblings about "seeing god in others" and "helping them to find their grace". I think he might have been getting at something I would agree with, but he used some really sloppy vocabulary that could be interpreted a million different ways.
 
I also came across the following quote that seemed relevant, and familiar after watching this video: from the 2009 National Prayer Breakfast:

“I was not raised in a particularly religious household. I had a father who was born a Muslim but became... an atheist, grandparents who were non-practicing Methodists and Baptists, and a mother who was skeptical of organized religion, even as she was the kindest, most spiritual person I’ve ever known. She was the one who taught me as a child to love, and to understand, and to do unto others as I would want done.

I didn’t become a Christian until many years later, when I moved to the South Side of Chicago after college. It happened not because of indoctrination or a sudden revelation, but because I spent month after month working with church folks who simply wanted to help neighbors who were down on their luck – no matter what they looked like, or where they came from, or who they prayed to. It was on those streets, in those neighborhoods, that I first heard God’s spirit beckon me. It was there that I felt called to a higher purpose – His purpose.”

No comments: