Saturday, September 18, 2010

"Disneyland Dream" 1956 Family Video

Words can't describe how happy this video makes me. Especially being that Elena and I just completed a very similar vacation 54 years later, seeing the same sites like: Beverly Hills, Hollywood, and of course, Disneyland. 


The following 30 minute video is a fantastic snapshot of Disneyland and America in the 1950's. Soak in the clothes, the cars, the environments and landscapes, the technology and the unspoken values from this thrilling time in U.S. History. And once in Disneyland, it's fun to see how much has changed, and what hasn't (particularly Main Street, as well as the entrances to Adventure Land and Frontier Land.)

Without further ado, enjoy the home video of the Robbins and Meg Barstow family vacation to Disneyland courtesy of "3M Cellophane Tape":



I must say, our hotel wasn't quite as nice. They don't make hotels like that anymore.

And you didn't miss the childhood appearance of Steve Martin, did you?
“At age eleven I worked at Disneyland. I sold guidebooks at the park from 1956 to about 1958. I am as positive as one can be that I appear about 20:20 into your film, low in the frame, dressed in a top hat, vest, and striped pink shirt, moving from left to right, holding a guidebook out for sale.” - Steve Martin
I hope you enjoyed this as much as we did. What's your response to the video?

2 comments:

Kirsten Dana said...

GLORIOUS!
I tried, but I literally cannot pick a favorite part. Thanks for sharing!

DK said...

Glad you finally had a chance to watch it! :)