Friday, August 14, 2009

Google Reader: "Send To"

I must confess, the last post was the result of geek driven excitement. The excitement not was not so much driven by the content of the post, rather, the manner in which it was posted.

I have raved about the convenience and efficiency of using an RSS reader (e.g. Google Reader) on multiple occasions through the years (most notably on RSS Awareness Day when I posted a video demonstrating the concept simply). Google Reader has just taken it's functionality as a RSS aggregator to new heights by uniting it with my other online passion: Blogging.
More often then not I blog about things that I come across in Reader. A simple button titled "Send To" drastically simplifies the process and allows me to more efficiently write about the things I am interested in.

Here I am browsing through the latest updates in my subscriptions:










Hmmm, this looks interesting. I want to blog about it. I'm going to "Send to" Blogger:








Now I will write a post to share with all my wonderful readers (Note the handy little drop down menu on the top right if you have multiple blogs):








Don't use Blogger? You need not be dismayed. "Send to" can be enabled under settings for a number of different outlets, including custom urls:























If you are a blogger (and even if you aren't!), there has never been a better time to start using Google Reader.

5 comments:

Warrick Farah said...

This is nice. Thanks! But you can't label it for your blog.

Have you found a better way to do this?

I just tried your suggestion on my blog.

DK said...

The best solution I have worked out is right after you publish it, click "edit posts" and throw in the labels.

My normal blogging habit is to save drafts and later schedule a bunch of posts to be published. So for me, this really isn't an issue.

interiorinstyle said...

thank you very much, this is the answer I was looking for!
awesome

Skillful Traveler said...

is there any way to get this function to be automated? ie you share or star a feed item and it posts automatically?

DK said...

@Skillfull Traveler,

I hear ya, but I have yet to find a way to do this.

It's frustrating because the "share" and "like" function on google reader is really only useful if you have a wide social network who is also using google reader.

This is the best solution I have been able to find to easily get content I like in the feeds I like to my blog feed.

There are ways to "display" your shared items, but this doesn't actually get the content into your own blog feed.