Thursday, July 09, 2009

Twittering in 1954?

I bet you never knew people were twittering back in 1954.

"You didn't have to be amongst them to hear it all. It was in the nodding and the twittering..." Live and Let Die by Ian Fleming
There is a deeper humor to this cheesy joke. As my eyes were scanning the words on the pages of this novel written in 1954, constructing the scene in my minds eyes there were suddenly iPhones and Blackberries in everyone's hands furiously updating their twitter. In the same moment I laughed at the foolishness of my own minds eye, but it got me thinking about how quickly things are changing for my generation and younger. I would even venture to say that if a young teenager picks up this novel in a few years he would be genuinely confused.

This reminds me of a conversation Elena and I had over dinner about the phone jack on the wall in our apartment. We did not even discuss whether we would get a landline - not even on the radar. I pondered that in the next decade, many a children will look at that odd outlet in the wall and ask "what is that for daddy?". Daddy will pause for a moment, chuckle, and casually state that you used to have to plug phones into the wall. The child will be absolutely stupefied by this simplistic explanation and daddy will wrestle with a volley of "why" questions, trying to convey how and why phones used to have to be plugged into the wall.

I just have to brag, I got 13 of the 14 James Bond novels for free at a garage sale!

No comments: