Saturday, January 10, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire

Elena first introduced me to Bollywood through the hilarious and playful Bride & Prejudice, the Indian spin on the classic tale Pride and Prejudice (It has Sayid from Lost, need I say more?). As a result, I was eager to follow my friend Kyles recommendation to watch Slumdog Millionaire. Elena and I watched it this last week and absolutely loved it. Grim, funny, suspenseful, stark, moving, gripping, thought provoking; this definitely made its way to my top films of 2008.

This is a great trailer that captures the movie:



The trailer makes excellent use of Sigur Ros in the last half; even though it fails to find its way into the film or the soundtrack. However, the music in the film was superb. Their use of M.I.A. was spot on.

Tyrone introduced me to M.I.A (Click link at your own risk - she must be competing for "most seizure inducing web design ever") a few months ago. The much celebrated Paper Planes makes an appearance. Previously the song always evoked somewhere between a grimace and a grim at it's use of children singing the refrain:

"All I wanna do is (BANG BANG BANG BANG!)
And (KKKAAAA CHING!)
And take your money"

But the movie uses it brilliantly to convey the injustice, pain, and brokenness of the world.

Slumdog Millionaire even ends with the obligatory Indian dance; complete with dance moves like ‘screw in a light bulb with one hand and pet the dog with the other’ and more! Gotta love it:

2 comments:

Tiana said...

If you really like Bride and Prejudice I would then recommend Kal Ho Nah Ho which is translated Tomorrow may never come. It's a long one, but one of the most meaningful movies I've seen in a long time. Oh yeah and there are subtitles cause its actually in 4 languages.

DK said...

Thanks for the heads up Tiana. I watched some clips on Youtube, I think I will check it out! I'll be sure and let you know what I think after I watch it.