Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Eye-opener

I had a unique opportunity Saturday evening to engage with 20 teenagers on an interesting topic. Nearly all 20 of whom:
  1. Attested to the central importance of Scripture being the source of guidance in their life.
  2. Expressed frustration of the Bible being too complicated and more confusing then helpful.
  3. Confessed they rarely read Scripture, and sporadically at that.
All of this got me wondering if maybe it's because we have tried to make the Bible something it is not. We have conveyed expectations that Scripture is the source of something that is seemingly unattainable. We have conveyed the means through which to attain something but results are left falling severely short of expectations.

Do I struggle with this paradox in my own life? You betchya! But it is down right disturbing when you can observe the reality of this in others.

Do I think we are bound to failure in the arena of Biblical reading? No way! We just have a lot of area for growthin how Biblical interpretation has been modeled to us.

5 comments:

Kyle said...

I wonder if it is not so much making the Bible something its not, but taking something that it is and limiting it to that. I think previous generations have tended to pigeon hole the Bible into being a complex set of rules that must be followed. I talk with younger generations and they sometimes swing the other way and focus only on the "story" or "message." Because it is God's word and reveals who He is it is both of those things and much more. It is infinitely complex but also approachable for everyone because of the Holy Spirit.

DK said...

Kyle, thanks for commenting. I understand why you don't like my question about "making the Bible something its not", but that is the question that is begging to be asked. Those are the types of questions people are asking and we need to take an honest look at them.

Kyle said...

Its not that I don't like your question. You know my story bro - I believe that every question is permissible. I just think in answering it we run into even a much bigger one(s).

Help me out with your quote
"We have conveyed expectations that Scripture is the source of something that is seemingly unattainable. We have conveyed the means through which to attain something but results are left falling severely short of expectations."

I may be interpreting that incorrectly. Thanks for posting this! It challenges me on a lot of different levels.

DK said...

Kyle, I wasn't sure if that was you. ;) I originally wrote this post late at night and I finally decided just to post it or it never would have gotten posted.

What I am getting at is the paradox that the 3 statements creates. We have shaped minds that hold to Scripture as something very valuable and meaningful, but the way in which we have taught how to read and understand Scripture fails to provide the value and meaning that was promised.

Does that make a little more sense?

Kyle said...

Sometimes I am a little slow. Thanks for your clarification, I think your statement makes all the sense in the world.

I would love to hear how your conversations progressed with these individuals.