Saturday, September 13, 2008

Phantom of the Opera

Be excited. This post has a theme song. Hit play and keep reading:



I went and saw Phantom of the Opera with my mother, sister, and Elena last week. The second half of the production truly thrilled me. I wanted to share my thoughts before I forget.

I love the Phantom's character. I think the reason why patrons connect so well with him is because he is actually the most human. He is a representation of a transparent authentic human being. His struggle for love and acceptance, his disgust with the monster that he is, and frustration with hurting those he loves most.

This got me thinking about the rest of the characters. I wondered, if the phantom is most human, what are the rest? The funny thing is, the other characters feel the most normal. I think the rest of the characters are the true masqueraders. They are the ones running around with a mask - the same mask's we don everyday - pretending not to have their lives together, pretending not to be broken, pretending to be something they are not.

2 comments:

Ian said...

You are right on.

ET said...

I am excited! That is a very good analysis of phantom, one that I agree even more when I think about it. Verenity!