Saturday, July 26, 2008

Song of Hope

This is currently one of the most over played songs on Christian radio. When a song gets overplayed I dissect every word of it and normally end up getting frustrated with the message being present. But for once I am actually okay with this one. Robbie Seay Band has some really good stuff, and Song of Hope is no exception.

The song is theologically rich and reminds me of some concepts I have been wrestling through, and blogged about earlier in the post "Sent From Heaven".
All things bright and beautiful You are
All things wise and wonderful You are
In my darkest night, You brighten up the skies
A song will rise

I will sing a song of hope
Sing along
God of heaven come down
Heaven come down
Just to know that You are near is enough
God of heaven come down, heaven come down

All things new
I can start again
Creator, God
Calling me Your friend
Sing praise, my soul
To the Maker of the skies
A song will rise

I will sing a song of hope
Sing along
God of heaven come down
Heaven come down
Just to know You and be loved is enough
God of heaven come down, heaven come down

Hallelujah, sing
Hallelujah, sing
Hallelujah, sing
Now for my mandatory critiques.

It lacks the quintessential theme of grace. No matter what the melody is, if it speaks to God's grace I am all about it. Though grace is not completely absent. It is alluded to with the phrase "all things new, I can start again".

While not required, the song does fail to make a direct call to action. However, I would fight to say this is open to interpretation. I like to think the title and central line ("I will sing a song of hope)" of the song is a metaphorical reference to how we live our lives, not literally the singing of a song. The idea that we are singing a song of hope with our actions, in our decisions, how we invest our time, and through our interactions with others. Though, one could hear this song and never arrive to that conclusion.

For what it's worth, I approve Robbie Seay.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

This is so funny, beacause I was thinking some of the exact same things when I heard this song on the radio a few weeks ago.

David Knepprath said...

That's awesome! Robbie Seay is solid.