Wednesday, July 02, 2008

The Prodigal God

Here's a brief interview with Tim Keller concerning his new book titled The Prodigal God: Recovering the Heart of the Christian Faith.

This is the quote that really hooked me:
"I don't know why over the years our interpretation of the Luke 15:11ff parable has focused so much on the younger brother. Even if you just count the verses it is clear that his part is only about half the story. If you read the parable in its context--Luke 15:1-3--it is clear that Jesus was directing the parable at Pharisees, 'elder brothers', who hated Jesus warm reception of tax collectors and sinners, 'younger brothers.' So the fate and decision of the elder brother is the real climax of the story. (And it is a cliff-hanger--we never find out how the Pharisee/elder brother responds.)"
I enjoyed his last book, The Reason For God, and wrote a series of blog posts. I his latest book into my summer reading schedule. I'll let you know what I think.

No comments: