Saturday, November 24, 2007

The Pursuit of God: Following Hard After God

I have decided to try this idea which was inspired by one of my new favorite blogs, Jesus Creed. Scot quotes and comments on books that he is currently reading (most recently, Paul Metzgers Consuming Jesus). I recently read through Tozer's Pursuit of God and jotted down excerpts that really jumped out at me. Over the next week or two I will be posting them.

From Chapter 1, "Following Hard After God":
"The whole transaction of religious conversion has been made mechanical and spiritless. Faith may now be exercised without a jar to the moral life and without embarrassment to the Adamic ego. Christ may be "received" without without creating any special love for Him in the soul of the receiver. The man is "saved", but he is not hungry nor thirsty after God. In fact, he is specifically taught to be satisfied and is encouraged to be content with little." (pg 12-13)
This really resonates with my thoughts on how we often put so much emphasis on the moment of "acceptance of Christ", the "just pray this simple prayer". We have raised a generation of Christians who place the sum weight of their testimony on a mere moment. We are content to allow one to leave their life untouched by the transformational relationship with Jesus that takes time and effort and loads of self sacrifice. We try so hard to make it easy, and in turn loose the beauty, the potency, the experience, the joy, the peace, the LIFE!
"Complacency is a deadly foe of all spiritual growth (pg 17)
Does anyone think Tozer would mind if I said "THAT'S AN UNDERSTATEMENT!!!"? This simple statement was a lesson I learned the hard way. I lived the first 18 years of my life in complacency. A complacency that brought nothing more than brokenness, regret, shame, hopelessness, bitterness, and frustration with life.

No comments: