Monday, October 01, 2007

unChristian

I got hooked on the latest book to form from data gathered by the Barna Research Group this weekend, unChristian. It is a great critical assessment of where the Church is at today; what major hurdles exist for Christians as we seek to engage our culture. Often times I pick up books like this and toss them aside after the 1st or 2nd chapter because they severely lack substance.

David Kinnaman (and Gabe Lyons) do an awesome job at breaking down the data, assessing the situation from within and outside of the church, and providing insight into how Christians can understand/engage culture in a more Christ-like manner.

David does not hold back. On multiple occasions you will be one or all of the following as he humbly reveals the hard cold facts about the way you live your life and how you may be negatively/unintentionally portraying Christ to American society: challenged, peeved, convicted, blood boiling angry, frustrated, heart-broken...

Changing the topic, I absolutely must recommend a short story. It was a blog post by my friend Melany who spent her summer in Romania. It just occurred to me that I have been sharing this powerful story with friends for almost a month now, but I have not plugged it on my blog. Melany beautifully details her experience in a very moving series of events that occurred with two young girls, Luminita and Regina. Read it.

1 comment:

Will said...

Thought you might like to check out this interview I did with UnChristian co-author Gabe Lyons.