Sunday, October 28, 2007

UnChristian: The Explanation of a Generation

I put UnChristian on hold while I scarfed down a wonderful piece of fiction titled The Shack (Check back in a couple days for a review.)

UnChristian captures my journey to God, and all my struggles with the religion of His followers, down to the very adjectives used (stale, dull, irrelevant...). All of the issues and frustrations with Christianity that had repulsed me and pushed me away for a large part of my life are perfectly captured in this book. It was the lives of individuals that demonstrated a genuine Christian faith which ignited the roller coaster ride that has been my life over the last 2 1/2 years.
"The nation's population is increasingly resistant to Christianity...the aversion and hostility are, for the first time, crystallizing in the attitudes of millions of young Americans. A huge chunk of a new generation has concluded they want nothing to do with us. As Christians, we are widely distrusted by a skeptical generation. We are at a turning point for Christianity in America. If we do not wake up to these realities and respond in appropriate, godly ways, we risk being increasingly marginalized and losing further credibility with millions of people." (Pg. 39)
If you are an over 35 Christian and are completely baffled by how my generation does life and is responding to your views of religion, I plead that you would just read this book. It will go miles in helping you to relate and engage with the younger generation that you so desire to preserve the clarity of the Gospel in all it's breathtaking beauty.

After UnChristian, I cracked into The Pursuit of God (Knowledge of the Holy got me hooked on A.W. Tozer) for my next piece of non-fiction. It has proved to be brilliant follow up. One quote in particular jumped out at me in regard to unChristian.
"Personality and fatherhood carry with them the idea of the possibility of personal acquaintance. This is admitted, I say, in theory, but for millions of Christians, nevertheless, God is no more real then He is to the non-Christian. They go through life trying to love an ideal and be loyal to a mere principle." (Pg. 48)
Tozer gets to the heart of why so many people of the world view Christians as unChristians. So often we live a life that is no different then a non-Christian. It's because of our lack of faith and communion with God in tangible ways. We relegate God to a vague "spiritual" corner of our life, instead of a holistic tireless pursuit after Him.

1 comment:

Elia said...

I couldn't agree more with what you said in the last paragraph. I used to be one of them. But, I was blessed to have people in my life that open my eyes to what true Christians are and how they behave. I just pray that God will open the eyes of those who still have them close.