Tuesday, August 15, 2006

World Trade Center (The Movie)

It is never too soon. In the days leading up to the release of World Trade Center many people made remarks along the line of "Do we really need more reminders of that horrible day?". My simple honest answer....YES! We do need a reminder so that things like what almost happened last week DON'T happen. They are not going to stop and people become complacent far to easy. I don't know about you, but I would much rather keep people on their toes by watching a movie then by watching live tv and see 10 planes flying from Britain to America blow up simultaneously.

Rant aside, it was a decent movie. I'm not a huge Cage fan (besides Gone in 60 Seconds) and the rest of the acting was definitely C-list (Besides Jay Hernandez). A lot of reviews have praised the movie for not taking a political stand either direction. I agree, and in some ways I respect Oliver Stone for portraying the events without a slant. The premise of the movie is it follows the true story of two Port Authority police officers (John McLoughlin played by Nicolas Cage and William J. Jimeno by Michael Pena) who become trapped under the rubble of the World Trade Center and who also are the 18th and 19th (out of 20) survivors that were rescued after the collapse of the towers.

Despite the underwhelming acting, I would still recommend this movie (definitely when its on DVD, but not entirely a waste of money in theaters being that a portion of the proceeds benefit a variety of 9/11-based charities). I think it portrayed the hecticness and the confusion of that day very well. It showed the reality of the fact that no one was prepared for the events that occurred on 9/11. It gave me a different perspective of that day that I had never realized and that I didn't receive from watching the news. It is for these reasons that I think any American should give this movie the time to view it, and more importantly, reflect on it.

My favorite, and most emotional, scene is when the Port Authority Sgt. John McLoughlin is getting carried through the rubble on the stretcher. The majority of the rescue workers portrayed themselves, and in this scene particularly, you can really feel the energy as a result. In contrast, my least favorite scene was when "Jesus" was offering a water bottle to the two officers trapped in the rubble. Why was it included in the movie? Completely random and out of place.

While I am on the topic of movies, The Nativity (Will it stand up to the standards set by The Passion? I hope so.) and The Last King of Scotland (Sorry, I like history.) are looking interesting.

DK

P.S. Any of you bloggers see the new Beta version? I'm excited!

3 comments:

joannamews said...

you should start your own fast food franchise and call it "DK".
You should sell tacos.

Melissa Jo said...

I think we need to be reminded about it, we lived through one of the most mean acts of terrorism and I want to see it, but my tear ducts aren't up to par :)-Melissa Jo

Dan Franklin said...

Cool review. I agree that it is not too soon. I guess I have never understood that.