Monday, August 28, 2006

Tar Under My Fingernails and Jars of Clay In My Ears

How do I spend my Saturday's? Shingling a house from 8:00am to 9:00pm in 90+ degree weather, that's how! Fun stuff, eh? My brother, Steven (left), is moving into his new house (new to him, it's actually over 100 years old) in Philomath Oregon, just outside of Corvallis.

I had a realization when I was up there on the roof flinging hot sticky tar smothered shingles. I realized that I always benchmark physical labor, and any bodily suffering that may follow, to the high standard set in New Orleans. As a result, I rarely have anything to complain about.

Speaking of New Orleans, my brother had a few friends helping, one of whom was another David (right). He was in New Orleans with Crusade the same week I was down there. David went with his younger brother on the PSU team. I also found out that his brother is still sporting the red ribbon (more of a light pink now) from the camp. This makes 4 individuals (that I know of), including myself, who are stilling representing N'Awlins.

You can see the ribbon in this picture from Ukraine. I love it! I have been looking awhile now for a reason to post it. I really liked, and miss, the fresh breads.

Oh, by the way, I have the new Jars of Clay album, Good Monsters. You know, the one that doesn't come out until September 5th. :) Songs such as "Dead Man", "Work", and "Good Monsters" are a drastic change from their more relaxing melodic work on Who We Are Instead, but their new sound has really grown on me. The album includes a pretty good mix of styles. There are still a few songs from the Jars of Clay that I have come to know and love with tracks like "There Is a River", "Oh My God", and "Surprise". A trio of stellar quest artist take Jars of Clay to new heights; Kate York in "Even Angels Cry", the amazing Leigh Nash in "Mirrors and Smoke", and (in line with Jars of Clay African Blood Water Mission) the African Children's Choir in "Light Gives Heat". I approve.

David Knepprath

2 Peter 1:5-8 So make every effort to apply the benefits of these promises to your life. Then your faith will produce a life of moral excellence. A life of moral excellence leads to knowing God better. Knowing God leads to self-control. Self-control leads to patient endurance, and patient endurance leads to godliness. Godliness leads to love for other Christians, and finally you will grow to have genuine love for everyone. The more you grow like this, the more you will become productive and useful in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. (NLT)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi David! This is sort of fun...hopping from one BlogSpot to another as I read about people I know...and THANKS for your hard work on behalf of MY HOUSE!
I hope this year's school is great.
I hope the CCCgroup gets off the ground, gels, and is a big influence and voice on campus!
Mary...:-)

David Knepprath said...

Hey Mary! Your periwinkle house is very welcome; we all have good memories from those days. :)

We are pretty pumped for this year on campus and the possibilities too!

I hope you enjoyed my blog. If you go back a couple months you can see pictures and stories from my Ukraine trip.

Mirranda said...

Oo, sounds like fun...

And I want to listen to that album! You should let me listen to it. Yes, yes, you should.

Melissa Jo said...

If I lived anywhere near you I would go to your house, steal the cd, burn it and quietly return it without you even knowing it :) jk lol

Jessi said...

AHAHAAAA! You posted a picture of bread! Oy, that was funny. I am still laughing.

I thought you were done gloating about Jars of Clay! ;) You must be very excited. I can't wait to buy it, on the regular release day, along with everyone else.

David Knepprath said...

Jessi, For some reason I didn't think the picture of bread was that funny until I read your comment, THEN when I looked at the picture of break I just busted up laughing.

I think I wrote this post before I promised to stop gloating. :)

Phil Smoke said...

Bro, I'm happy to have stumbled across your blog. It looks like you have some great things to say here. And when I saw the pink ribbon, I just had to comment. Yeah Light City!