Friday, August 25, 2006

God's Smuggler

You can expect to start seeing reviews of books that I read, or if I feel so inclined, reviews of books that I have read in the past. This is one such case, being that I read this book almost 6 months ago. I found it necessary to touch back on this book first as I was trying to write a review on a book that I just finished by the same author. (Hopefully, in a few days you will see why) So, with no further delay, my first book to be reviewed is God's Smuggler, written by a man under the pen name of "Brother Andrew".

God's Smuggler is an extremely compelling autobiography. It documents the amazing events of a man, known as Brother Andrew, that the Holy Spirit used to pave the way for Christ's love and salvation by smuggling Bibles into a land, being eastern Europe, where God was forbidden by the government, being the Soviet Union. In 1957 there was not a single Communist border over which you could take books of any kind - let alone religious books. Yet, this is exactly what he did, time after time. This "illegal" activity also being the reason for the need of his alias.

Armed only with prayer, Brother Andrew crossed countless border under the scrutinizing eye of border guards all the while transporting illegal Bibles. One of my favorite quotes was his prayer during such times. "Lord, in my luggage I have Scripture that I want to take to Your children across this border. When You were on earth, You made blind eyes see. Now, I pray, make seeing eyes blind. Do not let the guards see those things You do not want them to see."

The most impactful aspect of this book was this complete and utter reliance on God and Brother Andrew's intense focus and dedication in prayer. This autobiography is packed full of inspiring stories of how God can use someone who gives themselves up wholly to God. I would highly recommend it to anyone, but not soley to anyone, who has a twinge of interest in missions. Be forewarned, if you don't have a passion for missions, you will have a new found interest before finishing this book.

The events documented in God's Smuggler led to the creation of a missions organization called Open Doors (To get a snippet of the story of his life, they have put together a timeline). Open Doors is an international Christian mission supporting persecuted non-denominational Christian believers in countries where Christianity is socially or legally discouraged or oppressed.

I found my first edition hardback on Ebay for $0.99, which leads me to believe this book doesn't receive nearly the attention it deserves. This book had a huge impression on my life, and is easily on my top ten list.

David Knepprath

Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

6 comments:

Mirranda said...

I will definitely have to read that.

(Last sentence - 10 ten? or top ten?)

David Knepprath said...

My bad, thanks.

Robert Clifton said...

word.

Dan Franklin said...

I agree. Great book. Amazing trust in God. Talk about stepping out in faith.

Melissa Jo said...

I love Brother Andrew! I've read some of his various testimonies, he has a lot of faith and guts to do what he did and God never let him down :) -Mel

Melany said...

Great first pick! :) I can second everything you say in favor of this book...! It easily makes my top ten list as well. Reading it will definately increase your faith and your sense of awe over how God is still working in His world. The book was something that God really used to pique my interest in the underground church, which led me to develop a greater awareness of the persecution faced by my brothers and sisters in other "closed" countries.